Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Top 10 Reasons You’re Not Blogging



dog ate homework
OK, it’s high time I address all the naysayers out there who have not yet put fingers to keyboard and started blogging. Without further ado, here are the top 10 reasons why I think you have not yet embraced the manifold benefits of blogging...

1.“I don’t have time”
A fair point; you probably don’t. Like all things in life, though, it comes down to priorities. Blogging lets you communicate directly with your target audience on a daily basis, giving you a chance to prove your business can solve a problem they may have or otherwise add value to their lives. Blogging is a good thing. Make it a priority.

2.“I don’t have a blogging platform”
The great thing about technology is that it offers choices and creates efficiencies. There are quite a few free or relatively low-cost blogging platforms and/or content management systems only a few clicks away. For example, you can set up a free Google Blogger account in minutes. So get on it.

3.“I don’t know how to write good”
We can’t all be Hemingway or Fitzgerald; in fact, most of us aren’t even close. Feeling like your writing isn’t up to snuff is no excuse for blogging inaction. If you are really self-conscious about your writing, have a colleague, friend, or family member look it over before publishing. There are also inexpensive online editing sites/software aplenty. Sorry, I’m not buying what you’re selling.

4.“My boss told me not to”
If this is the case, you need a new boss, or a new job. Have him or or her call me; I’ll straighten ‘em up in no time.

5.“The dog ate my keyboard”
If this is true, you may want to spend some time focusing on your dog before you get blogging.

6.“I don’t know what to write”
Think of your blog as a platform for addressing the wants and needs of your customers and prospects (which it is); do this, and you should have no trouble finding material. If you are still hurting for ideas, quit your job or close up shop right now, and save yourself a lot of future heartache.

7.“All the topics are already taken”
Keying off of #6 above, if your business provides a product or service to consumers (which doubtless it does), you should have no problem adding some unique spin to the things your audience cares about. If you can’t identify what these things are, get out now.

8.“I have too many leads and too much business already”
Good for you. You should be blogging to make sure things stay this way.

9.“Nobody will read it”
This defeatist perspective is very similar to saying, “nobody will want do business with me.” If you write it, they will come. If you don’t, you’ll never know.

10.“I’m not a thought leader. Nobody cares what I have to say”
First of all, I hate the term “thought leader,” even though I use it by default. It sounds a bit 1984, mind control-esque for my tast. A less sexy but more accurate phrase is “subject matter expert.” This is what you doubtless are, at least in your field. Nobody’s asking you to write about things you have no interest in and know nothing about. To whole point is to write about your area of expertise which, hopefully, is also your passion. Do this, and you’ll become a “thought leader” in no time.

So there you have it -10 reasons why I think you're not blogging. Perhaps I hit the nail on the head, or maybe you have your own excuse that I didn’t touch on. Whatever the case, in an age when more people than ever are going online to look for solutions to address their various wants and needs, you really should be blogging. No, really.

No comments: